Your pets are like children. There is always a chance that they will take a bite at something new and strange. Especially dogs will chew on almost anything they can come around. This hold true for the plants in your home too. All types of plants can be tempting attraction for your pets. But you can never know how the ingredients of a plant may react when they are in your dog’s stomach. Here are 10 commonly found plants in your home, which are highly toxic.
Azaleas have been found to adversely affect pets’ health. If your dog eats just a few leaves, it could result in diarrhea, vomiting and too much drooling. If your pet eats the leaves, take it immediately to a vet.
There are many types of lilies and many of them are poisonous. Calla, Peruvian and Peace lilies have oxalate crystals that could cause irritation of the tongue, mouth, esophagus or pharynx. But the more dangerous ones are Day, Tiger, Japanese Show lilies, and Asiatic Easter, which are highly poisonous. These lilies could cause kidney failure.
Daffodils are rich in lycorine. These alkaloids have strong emetic effects that cause vomiting. If your pet ingests the plant, its flowers, or the bulb, it could lead to severe diarrhea, vomiting, or pain in the abdomen. It could also lead to respiratory depression or cardiac arrhythmias.
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is usually found in most homes, as it is known for its natural health benefits, especially for the skin. It may be seen as a great plant for human beings, but it is toxic to dogs and cats. It is commonly used in homes to treat burns, but it is recommended to prevent your pet from coming in contact with it. Consumption could cause diarrhea, vomiting, tremors, anorexia, and even depression.
Begonia is popularly use as a container plant in homes. But it is highly toxic to pets. Especially, the tubers are to be avoided because of higher toxicity. They can cause irritation of the mouth, burning sensation, vomiting, excessive drooling, irritation of the lips and tongue, and even difficulty in swallowing.
6. Castor Bean
Castor is commonly used as a landscaping plant. It is recommended to avoid it as a houseplant. If your pet consumes it, it could cause vomiting, pain in the abdomen, diarrhea, weakness, appetite loss, and even excess thirst. Severe poising could also lead to seizures, dehydration, coma or even death.
Tulips are full of allergenic lactones. The plant contains most of its toxin in the bulb. Prevent your pet from coming in contact with the plant’s bulbs. Any form of consumption can cause issues ranging from irrigation of the esophagus and mouth to diarrhea. If your pet ingests too much of the bulb, it could even cause increased heart rate and affect respiration.
Chrysanthemum is known for the beauty, brightness and colors of its flowers. It is commonly found in most homes, and if your pet consumes any part, it could cause minor problems like improper coordination and depression. Other symptoms can include diarrhea, vomiting, excess drooling, and dermatitis.
Gladiolus is usually used in gardens for making attractive floral arrangements. Its bulb is considered to be highly toxic to pets. Common symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and excess salivation.
10. Morning Glory
Morning glory, another popular plant in homes, is known for its hallucinogenic effects on pets. But other problems can include tremors, gastrointestinal upset, ataxia, disorientation, agitation, and anorexia.
So avoid these plants from coming in contact with your pet. If you cannot avoid having them in your home, it is recommended to plant them away in the garden where your pets cannot reach them.